Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Gun Review-Smith and Wesson M&P15-22


In my search for a "tactical" 22 I've tried a few. I had a Ruger 10/22 decked out in a ATI strikeforce stock, a Sig 522, and now the M&P15-22. I decided on the 15-22 for a few key reasons. First, it is a great trainer for my AR15, also a S&W M&P. Second, it was the lightest and fit my 7 year old son the best of all the 22's we tried. It was a win win situation.

The M&P 15-22 is the closet thing to a real AR15 out there minus a dedicated .22lr upper. It breaks down like an AR, shares the same lower receiver and trigger group and furniture as it's big brother. It's a perfect trainer for your AR15. For me, it was a better trainer to teach my son how to shoot. With the collapsible stock it's quite a bit shorter than most 22's out there minus maybe the Cricket 22, which is a single shot. The M&P is also lighter than most offerings. I would HIGHLY recommend this gun as a first gun for a youth. It's a great trainer for a centerfire rifle and allot of fun! It's also given me a constant range buddy and quality father son time.

The M&P15-22 is a very reliable plinker. We have easily over 2k rounds through ours with few if any malfunctions, and I chalk those up to bad ammo. That's a mix of Federal, Winchester, and CCI blazer bulk packs. The cheapest ammo you can buy.

The magazine's are one of the strong points of this weapon. Smith and Wesson did a great job designed a reliable 25 round magazine that is very easy to load, and closely resembles an AR15 magazine for training purposes. Another bonus is they are reasonably priced, I think I paid $15 each for the past couple I ordered.

The sky's the limit on accessories for the 15-22, as it will take pretty much any AR15 accessory. The handguard is not interchangeable with AR handguards. That's about it. Any AR15 trigger, stock, grip, sights,etc will work with the 15-22.

I highly recommend the 15-22 as a first gun, tactical trainer, small game gatherer, and range plinker. I have plans to someday add a suppressor to further magnify the fun factor of this gun. Maybe even a slide fire stock! I give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment