Monday, May 21, 2012

Gun Review-Just Right Carbine 9mm



Not much excites me like a new gun. This is my latest pick up. The Just Right Carbine is a new line of pistol caliber carbines similar to the Hi-point 995, Beretta CX4, and Kel-Tec Sub2k. The gun is relatively new to the market, coming out in 2011 I believe. The JRC uses Glock magazines similar to the Kel Tec offering. That's where the similarities end.

 The JRC was designed after the AR15 platform. The lower receiver is all AR including the stock, commercial spec buffer tube and 6 position stock, pistol grip, safety and trigger group. This is one of my favorite aspects of this gun. It shares the same controls as my M&P 15 and 15-22. The JRC also sports a free-float quad rail that is machined aluminum. The quality of this gun far surpasses that of Kel Tec and Hipoint's offerings. I've not been lucky enough to shoot and CX4 but I'm sure it's top notch being Beretta made.

Earlier reviews of this gun where mixed. Some had failures to eject, feed, etc. Just Right made it "right" by swapping out the bolt assembly for a new design, as well as a heavier bull barrel. I believe serial #'s 17000 and up have the upgraded parts, and Just Right will send you the replacement parts for free as party of their lifetime warranty.

The gun weighs in around 6 lbs, which is very light and easily maneuverable. As tempting as it will be to mod this baby out with AR15 type accessories, I think I'm going to keep the light weight and maybe add a foregrip and red dot. I will be changing the furniture out for Magpul MOE equipment to help replicate my AR15 and 15-22.


Limited Range Report


This is limited because I'm a knucklehead and thought my range was open until dark. Turns out they close at 5pm on Saturday's! I showed up at 4:20. I had a limited amount of time, one 10 round mag the gun came with, and a set of Magpul MBUS that needed to be sighted in.

I'm happy to report that the gun has ZERO malfunctions with 60 rounds of  FMJ and HP ammo. The HP's being 115 grn Hornady XTP's I loaded. That's not alot of rounds but that's all time allowed. I've since picked up some 33 round KCI mags to test in the gun and will update this post with my results.

The gun was very accurate with open sights at 25 yds. I have a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on the way and I'll stretch it out to 50 yds. I can tell this is going to be a fun little plinker and a formidable home defense option. 33 rnds of HP's is going to make for a very bad day for a home intruder.

Stay tuned for a more in depth range review.

1 comment:

  1. When I first heard of this carbine I was so excited I did not do my research before dumping/throwing away my $720 hard earned money. I got it to the range, I was proud to have it and it turned out to be a huge embarrassing trip, this piece of crap was a major jamming pos.
    I quickly found out that jr carbine does not return emails but they do answer the phones, the lady was nice and I am sure she gets the crap from thousands of owners. I told her my problem and was polite to her because she didn't make the thing and she even offered to send a pickup ticket so shipping would not have cost me anything. She told me I could send it in or just send in the parts I thought was the problem and she would send me new parts on their dime. Long story short I finally fixed it thank me, no more jams and this thing ejects spent shells like a glock. Those of you that are having problems which no doubt is 99% of the owners know how great that is. I fixed this "was" a POS now a fantastic firearm, just as dependable as a glock. I know just about every owner is pissed about their jr carbine, it is a rifle that you want to love but the jams take over and you sell it to a person like me that just love the looks. I am not going to tell how and what I did because jr carbine still has not been able to figure it out and they have people with college degrees making the big bucks working there that cannot figure it out. I am not going to disclose the fix because jrc is not paying me for fixing their POS and turning it into a fantastic weapon, sorry. My serial # starts with a jrcv04xxxx. If you see serial #'s like so it is a jamming POS. The first serials start with just a jr and the jrcv's are the second generation "I believe" of this fine rifle. I really enjoy this now, I will post a YouTube video in the near future to show how it spits out the spent shells and no jams. I am even considering a bump-fire stock something I know other owners will not even think about. Tell the jrc people when you call and complain about your jamomatic that I fixed it and why can they not do it as well.
    happy shooting.

    ReplyDelete