Monday, May 21, 2012

Gun Review-Ruger SR22 Pistol

I recently picked up a Ruger SR22 pistol. I have owned a plethora of 22 pistols in my day. Everything from a Ruger Standard to a Smith and Wesson M&P22. My 7 year old son has started to become my regular range buddy. His first gun I got him was the Smith and Wesson M&P15-22(review to come). I decided I wanted to teach him the basics of pistol shooting as well. Unfortunately, the M&P22 was too large for his hands. I had heard good things about the new Ruger SR22 pistol, so I put the M&P up for sale locally. I ended up selling the M&P to someone at a local gun show, and picked up the SR22 the same day!

I really like this little pistol. It's much smaller than the M&P22 but is fits in my hand surprisingly well! Not to mention, my 7 year old can get a good grip on the gun! I figured this would be a better teaching tool than the larger sized 22's out there.

So far, we have over 500 rounds or more out of this little gun with no malfunctions. Shooting bulk ammo like Federal, CCI Blazer, Winchester, etc. One negative mark on alot of 22 pistols is that they are ammo picky. I can tell you right now that the SR22 is NOT!

The gun is very accurate. I really like the ergonomics of the gun. My only negative really is the magazine disconnect safety, and the thumb safety. Most guns I shoot have no external safeties. However, for teaching a new shooter how to shoot, I like that it has them.

Overall I would highly recommend the Ruger SR22 pistol to anyone who is looking to teach a new shooter the fundamentals of pistol shooting, as well as too anyone looking for a reliable plinker. The Ruger SR22 scores an 8/10 in my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment